Friday, October 2, 2015

Mommy School


Last weekend, I left with these four beautiful friends (inside and out) to go to"Mommy School" - the Dot Mom conference in Nashville.  It was my third year in a row, and each year I come home refreshed with both inspiring and practical takeaways.  And one of my biggest takeaways this year - laughter is good for the soul!  I laughed for two days with these mamas, and after a week at home with sick kids, I needed it more than I knew.

I asked Mary what she thought mommies needed to learn at mommy school.  She was quick to say "to laugh more and do silly things....and not yell at their kids." Karen Kingsbury, one of my favorite speakers, said that "we are all writing a best-seller, our kids are the main characters and laughter is what colors our stories."

Sophie and Melanie talked about the importance of friendship and how we, as moms and women, need to be for each other. Women united for Christ are a powerful force. They talked about how girlfriends help nurture the little girl in you...the person you were before you became a wife and mom responsible for feeding a family and keeping little people alive...the little girl inside of you who still has big dreams.

We got out the hot rollers, shared beauty tips and encouraged the little girl deep down in us!




One of the biggest practical takeaways was THIS blog! I "treasure hunt" and blog about the city of Huntsville...why not treasure hunt inside my home and blog about my children!? Thank you friends for encouraging me in this!

I left home (going on four months of no sleep with kids throwing up) not knowing if I could live through one more minute. If I could just be left alone. When Karen Kingsbury read her poem "let me hold you longer" I cried my eyes out thinking that my children would one day grow up and leave me alone.

There has never been a job so incredibly challenging, and yet so incredibly sweet...and important.

It's no wonder mommies need Jesus...and each other...and Mommy School!







2 comments:

  1. I loved every single second of our weekend together!!! And this blog is absolutely precious!!! I love it and I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Amen, sister. I'm so thankful for you, Katie. What a blessing that weekend was!!!!

    ReplyDelete